- This event has passed.
2022 RISHI Power of Nursing Faculty Development Workshop
July 13 @ 9:30 am - July 17 @ 12:30 pm
- Wednesday – Sunday, July 13 – 17, 2022
- Wednesday – Saturday 9:30 am – 5:00 pm and Sunday 9:30 am – 12:30 pm
- Yellow Springs, Ohio
- Program begins at 9:30 am on Wednesday July 13th and ends Sunday July 17th at 12:30 pm
WHO SHOULD APPLY
Academic faculty from accredited nursing schools who are committed to serve as course directors and implement the curriculum at their institution.
- To train faculty in the planning and implementation of the Power of Nursing curriculum
- To support faculty in positioning the Power of Nursing curriculum within their institution.
- To teach faculty innovative approaches to strengthen and preserve the professionalism and resiliency of their nursing students.
- To validate values clarification, purpose and meaning as legitimate goals in healthcare education.
- To foster the appreciation of curriculum as a transformative; as well as, informative process.
- To foster relationships that are harmless, judgment-free and healing, between student and teacher, professional colleagues and with their patients.
- To validate contemplation, reflection and self-care as legitimate educational objectives.
- To broaden the understanding of the nature of self-care.
- To re-inspire faculty as educators and renew their commitment to teaching.
Faculty participants will be able to:
- Implement and evaluate a 15-hour experiential, transformational curriculum for undergraduate and graduate nursing students.
- Compare the transformational potential of the discovery model to the traditional cognitive/intellectual educational model.
- Discuss the shadow of nursing education and strategies to detoxify it.
- Name three parameters of safe interactional space for learning and transformation.
- Use reflection and contemplation as major educational tools.
- List the characteristics of a community of inquiry approach to nursing school education.
- Lead a class exercise focused on discovering effective healing responses to the losses of others.
- Discuss grief and its importance in preventing burnout.
- Discuss grief’s impact on the ability to find meaning in professional work.
- Run a Finding Meaning in Nursing group for faculty colleagues.
- Discuss the personal meaning of their work with peer professionals.
- Lead two class exercises in service, calling and professional commitment.
- Discuss the importance of silence and generous listening in transformational nursing school education.
- Facilitate a small group discovery model discussion.
Rachel Naomi Remen, MD
Evangeline C. Andarsio, MD
Mary Pat Thomas, MSN, RN, AHN-BC
Laurie Fonken, Ph.D., L.P.C.
Please Note: Dr. Remen may be present for the entire workshop via virtual technology.
Faculty course directors must attend the 5-day Faculty Training prior to implementation of the course at their school or healthcare organization.
We strongly suggest that two course co-directors attend from each school or organization. Our experience has shown that implementation of the course is most successful when there are two co-directors to support each other during implementation, and further guarantees the continuity of the curriculum.
Prior to attending the course, the course director(s) must obtain verbal support from appropriate department heads, deans, and/or members of a curriculum committee expressing a level of interest in implementing the course at their school.
The course director(s) should have a plan for ongoing fiscal support for the course.
The course director(s) agree(s) to use a nationally standardized evaluation, provided by RISHI, for students and faculty participating in the course and submit a summative evaluation following the completion of each PON course
The PON course must be taught in its entirety as described in the The Power of Nursing: Embracing the Healer’s Art Manual and syllabus. PON is a workshop in nursing professional formation for nursing students. After completing the PON Faculty training, participants are able to offer workshops for nursing students and faculty. Any other use of the PON Manual and syllabus must be discussed with Evangeline Andarsio, MD, Director of RISHI.
The course director(s) must agree that modules cannot be incorporated into other professional courses, nor can the courses in their entirety be incorporated into other existing curricula without the consent of the copyright holder.
TUITION: Includes breakfast & lunch on all days
Nursing Faculty: $1,500
Note: Tuition covers the cost of the syllabus, training, breakfast and lunch daily (does NOT include evening meals or lodging).
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your application online before June 30, 2022. All applications will be reviewed. We will let you know of acceptance to the workshop within one month of application. Here is a link to the application:
CANCELLATION & REFUND POLICY
A deposit of $300 is due at time that your application is accepted. The tuition balance is due by July 1, 2022. A full refund of deposit (less processing fee of $25) will be issued for cancellations on or BEFORE June 15, 2022. Cancellations after June 15, 2022 will forfeit deposit and/or registration fee.
For further information regarding the training contact Evangeline Andarsio, MD at 937.245.7450 ext. 1 or email@example.com.
For questions regarding registration, payments, travel, hotel or other customer service issues, contact Jeff Staats at 937.245.7450 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOTEL, TRAVEL AND MEAL INFORMATION
Lodging: The Training will be held at the Mills Park Hotel, 321 Xenia Ave, Yellow Springs, OH 45387. You should reserve your room after your application has been approved.
Lodging note: If you want to stay at the Mills Park hotel, please know it is very important to make reservations well in advance. The Mills Park is a small, beautiful hotel, noted for its personalized care, and rooms sell out quickly. Online reservation is not available. Please reserve your room by calling the hotel directly at 937.319.0400.
Additional lodging: We can provide names of alternative accommodations in a range of prices in the immediate vicinity of the event.
Travel: Participants fly in from all over the country to attend The Healers Art and Power of Nursing Faculty training. If you are arriving by plane and will be renting a car, consider the following airports:
- James M. Cox Dayton International Airport (DAY) – a 32 minute drive
- John Glenn Columbus International Airport (CMH) – a 60 minute drive or
- Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG) – 85 minute drive
Please be advised an ESTIMATED Uber/Taxi fare rates to Mills Park Hotel from DAY ($40), CMH ($110) and CVG ($90). These prices are not guaranteed as rates fluctuate throughout the day based on time and demand. If you are interested in ride sharing from the airport please contact Jeff Staats at 937.245.7450 or email@example.com closer to the workshop to try and assist with arrangements with other participants.
Meals: Breakfast and lunch are provided as part of tuition cost.
Evening meals and lodging are on your own.
Note: If you are on a special diet or limit your intake of specific foods, please contact us.
Yellow Springs, Ohio Restaurants & Activities:
The village of Yellow Springs offers a wonderful selection of restaurants, shopping and outdoor activities.
CONTINUING EDUCATION FOR NURSES
CA BRN CE APPROVAL: The Remen Institute for the Study of Health & Illness. Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider Number 10064, for 27.0 Contact Hours.
California BRN continuing education credits are accepted by most state nursing boards; please verify with your state professional regulatory agency if they will accept a California CE certificate.