2021 RISHI RETREAT Medicine as a Spiritual Path
October 27 @ 5:00 pm - October 31 @ 11:00 am$2850
MEDICINE AS A SPIRITUAL PATH:
EXPLORING THE ANCIENT INTERFACE BETWEEN MEDICINE AND THE FAITH PRACTICES
“The voyage of discovery lies not in seeking new vistas but in having new eyes.”
Our present vulnerability to burnout may be caused more by the way in which we have come to see ourselves and our work than by the nature of the work itself. Essentially, science may simply be our most recent set of tools and medicine
may be closer to a faith practice than it is to a scientific endeavor.
It is only in the past few centuries that medicine and the faith traditions have become distinct and independent of one another. The ancient connection between them endures in our professional language; We “practice”
medicine, and we refer to our work as a “calling” or as “service.” Even our lineage oaths of commitment to our work are writtenin the format of prayers.
This workshop is an opportunity to join Rachel Naomi Remen, MD, RISHI Founding Director, and Evangeline Andarsio, MD, RISHI Director, in an exploration of the intersection between faith, spirituality, and the practice of medicine. Participants will learn to apply traditional approaches of faith practice: prayer, ritual, contemplation, ceremony, meditation, community, reflection, symbolism, consecration, and parable to strengthen ourselves and our community and find a deeper personal meaning and joy in our daily work.
This is a workshop for physicians with a faith practice of any type as well as those who would simply like to explore approaches of faith practices to enrich their experience of their work.
This 3 1/2 day retreat will draw on the award-winning discovery model methods of the Remen Institute for the Study of Health and Illness (RISHI). Dr. Remen will be presenting both in-person and by videoconferencing.
Retreat Participants Will Have the Opportunity to:
- Experience the deep quiet and peace of Commonweal, a world-famous retreat site overlooking the Pacific Ocean in Bolinas, California.
- Join a group of physicians in a shared exploration of the power of faith practices to reveal and strengthen the deeper meaning of their daily work.
- Learn new, personal, and innovative ways to nurture professional resiliency.
- Personalize use of faith practices and approaches such as prayer, ritual, contemplation, ceremony, meditation, community, reflection, symbolism, consecration, and parable as tools of self-care.
- Examine their work as physicians in the context of faith practices.
- Design and apply personal faith practices to their own practice of medicine.
- Uncover a new perspective of their daily work and deepen connection to the work and community of medicine.
- Experience the compassionate support of a diverse professional community.
Registration includes lodging, three meals/day, beverage service, and credit for a massage and/or yoga class.
Evangeline Andarsio, MD
Director, RISHI at Pure Healthcare
Director, RISHI Business Development